August 15, 2007.
I bet you thought it was cartoons, or drawing or rhinestones........well truth be told I will always have a soft spot in my heart for rhinestones....and glitter! I do love myself things that are all sparkly and covered in glitter. When I was tad younger (oh let's say I was five) I used try and wear jewelry to school, basically sneak the contra-band into kindergarten. They would send me home with a baggie pinned to my back with my precious jewels inside - telling my mother that "Jamie has trouble drawing in class when she has a ring on all ten of her fingers".
Alas, but no my passion is... I love, love, LOVE throwing my kid's birthday parties. I just go to town with the whole theme thing - and the invites, the cake, the decor, the games, even the food is all wrapped around one theme. Trust me with a five year old and an almost eight year old (boy and girl) I have done MOST parties.
Abby turned five so we did a "Build Your Own Bear" Party. Since she has like 12 bears from that place, I did not want to go there once again. So we got our own bears, and made our own clothes. Each child got five Bear Bucks to spend on a bear, bear clothes, decorate a bear cookie, face painting, popcorn, and lemonade.
Some easy things I did for the "Build Your Own Bear" party:
- Invites were simple, with teddy bear stickers that the kids helped me decorate. We (my mom that is ) wrote about Abby's Beary Special Day...
- Chocolate cupcakes from the bakery we decorated with Teddy Grahams
- Bears were ordered on line for under a $1.00 each
- Clothes were made from felt, lace can make great skirts, rhinestones for earrings, blush on the cheeks, even fake eyelashes, hats from the craft store even.
- Teddy Bear cookies made ahead of time, the kids got to cover with frosting and sprinkles
- Decorated backyard with teddy bears
- Played Teddy, Teddy, Bear when the natives got restless (Duck, Duck, Goose)
- Painted small brown teddy bears on kids cheeks
The problem with this party idea is the kids were done dressing the darn bears in 1/2 an hour so we had to improvise, and run next door to the park to blow off some steam. And, uh the sugar probably did not help, but oh well - figure why not pump the kids full of crap....then send them home.
Of course best part of staying with the theme, is letting my daughter be a part of the decorating and the planning. As you can see from the 47 bears on her bed, she uh........well she likes bears.
This is what I spend my free time doing....planning birthday parties.