Day One - going to Atlanta
Things looked promising the day before I left for the gift show:
Getting ready for a trade show (as I have addressed earlier) is like a mad dash to finish. Whatever was not done I decided I could do from the hotel – because I had like you know – a day and a ½ for that……right?
July 11, 2007
- Up at 4:00 a.m.
- Cab picks me up at 5:00 a.m.
- Get to the airport early (yeah for me!) and check in, get coffee, sit at gate for five minutes
- The crew shows up – mumble to each other, “flight canceled” then walk away
- Look at flight sign thingie – red lights flash FLIGHT CANCELED
- Run-walk all the way back to the service desk while saying a baaad word in head and trying very hard to NOT cry
- Stand in long line, behind everyone that was late (swear at self for being early)
- Get on cell phone with customer service agent
- All flights booked – they will NOT get me out today
- Customer service agent at airport sashays by (yes she did not read the urgency on any of our faces) and mentions our suitcases are being held in a “secure place” so we need to stay in line – STAY! Staaay....SIT! Good dogs!
- One hour later, we have not moved, still standing in line
- Customer service lady (another one) starts yelling, “Go get in line on another plane, book a flight we will reimburse you…..except Delta and Continental”
- Those are the two….yes only TWO airlines that can and will fly me to Atlanta direct.
- She then tells us our bags have been in the baggage carousel the whole time – shit!
- Go get suitcase at baggage check
- Stand in long line at Delta
- Pay for new ticket – leaves in four or five hours ( but who is counting now?)
- Go home for nap for one hour
- Come back at 12:30
- Get frisked and then sent through EXTRA security because I may have a bomb. Go through very embarrassing and personal security check (read blow air up my shirt..ya I said air)
- Need a beer – sit in bar and eat sandwich and drink one (or two) beers
- Flight is delayed
- Flight is delayed a bit longer......finally board plane
- Get picked up on by young man wanting to show my friend and I around Atlanta, oh and he wanted a job too – he was a painter (note to self do not talk to strangers)
- He reads over shoulder as I work on laptop, reads Press I got, thinks those are my goals for year, I choke on water - almost five years of what I have DONE– Oh, he really wants a job now
- Turn on i-pod so can be left alone
- Finally arrive at Atlanta Airport around 11:00 p.m.
- Get taxi cab – sit in traffic for over 45 minutes
- Arrive at hotel at 12:15 a.m.
Not a good start to my week in Atlanta, however with all of the extra time I had on the plane I was able to write the rest of my biography and my history for our press packets. There is a press room at every Trade show, this is where the press can read about your company, talk amongst themselves, eat……you know. This is an easy way to get your information to the press. I was able to leave 10 Press Packets there (this can include a short bio, picture of company owner, a history of company, brochure, other press, information on products). Not sure if this will turn into any press – but it is exposure. It is free too – this was the only thing that was free in Atlanta.