So...this is my latest "project" at home. Our garage, became my studio for the company, then it went back to being a garage, now it's a play room. I took control over the garage for....um, my kid's sake. To be honest, they love to play out there. Most of the big bulky LOUD toys are out in the garage, and during the winter I am willing to let them (gulp) throw balls around the garage.
Then I got this brilliant idea from Pottery Barn Kids.....they had these old fashioned candy jars with toys in them in their latest catalog. I thought to myself:
a. I know I can buy those at Target
b. Why not put arts and crafts in those candy containers?
c. Husband is out of town on business....
d. If I can't find the cute containers I will just throw the craft supplies away (this would have been hard for me to do)
Our problem is I am so organized no one can actually see what they are looking for. I had all the art and craft supplies in bins, in drawers, and in cupboards....and they were never used. No one could find them, no one knew what we had. I know I have a problem...I am just not ready to admit it out loud.
So, I have been organizing and dividing...and throwing stuff away. My children have been in the garage every day since the big 'Craft Organization Separation Put-in Jars' night. We even had friends over last night to make Easter Egg Bunny Rabbits...with all of our un-used craft supplies. Now they can see what we have and they can bug me to get it down....
Don't know why, or how but this one act has brought me some inspiration, and some changes:
- Started planning our booth for our next trade show (July Atlanta Gift Mart)
- Finished a new painting for distribution or submission
- Ordered 3 amazing marketing books
- Found two new possible ceramic items to add to our product line
- After interviewing Independent Sales Reps need to send out an email with job offer
- Figured out a way to let everyone in the office recognize a special order with customer requests or changes
- Started actually thinking of new Christmas Products and Ideas (oh gosh, that is not right!)
I don't know why when I focus on something other than the business, it always sparks great creative ideas, and inspirations. I do know yesterday I had to pull myself away from my painting to get the kids from school and sitter. Making a mess is fun....creating stuff is fun....getting organized and cleaning up the clutter....is productive, for me.