December 30, 2006.
And so, now I must list some of my mistakes, screw-ups, guffaws, idiotic things that I did in 2006. I hate to get all schmaltzy and emotional with y'all (previous blog) and not give ya the, "what the f*&$ was I thinking? " side also.
The photo is my daughter with her famous "mean-eyes"....which I um, may have may given to uh....someone once or twice (gulp) this year.....
And, without further ado, my JPD Screw-Ups to Ponder for 2006 (and oh how I ponder these):
- Did not fully comprehend the cost of moving the business out of the house (there are SO many hidden costs)
- Kicking a soccer ball during my daughters soccer game and hitting her square in the face....uh, ya I can't seem to forgive myself for that one either
- Paying a bill late
- Reprimanding an employee for another persons error (uh, mine)
- Spending upwards to $2000 for a partnership with a LARGE on line retailer, and a fee per transaction and still not making all the money back
- Assuming a star employee would stay with us, even after she continued to increase her class load
- Assuming that my 'way' of doing things was the 'correct way' of doing things....you can always improve and change
- Not paying wholesale for EVERYTHING we order
- Wait till the last minute to ship new samples to Atlanta Gift Show, and end up shipping everything over night
- Forgetting to purchase Thanksgiving plates for daughters party and driving 3 towns over to find them night before the party
- Hiring family friends' children after SWEARING I would not do it again...another story
- Taking a store order without credit card since they were the 'IT' store and then having them refuse to pay for samples
- Not acting quicker on a store that went bankrupt
- Not listening to my instinct on dissolving a partnership with a Sales Representative
- Not insisting payment sooner on a channel that owed us a A LOT of money
- Not raising prices sooner
- Not getting it in writing
- Not thanking contract employees enough for their hard work, I feel I can never thank them enough...
Though I do try VERY hard not to obsess over my mistakes, I do go over and over them in my head...truth be told it's usually 4:00 a.m in the morning and I am also tossing and turning over not having scrapbooks/no valentine photos/thank you cards not done/no homemade cookies for school party/no clean sheets/no play dates for kids that week.....you fill in the blank.
As this year comes to a close I would like to observe the wisdom of one very insightful seven year old who said to me one time I screwed up....err, made a mistake and I continued to obsess over it, "Mommy, mistakes are wonderful opportunities to learn". Thanks, sweetie, Mommy needed that pat on the back!
Happy New Year Everyone! Thanks for reading my blog, thanks for sometimes actually commenting on it....or not, thanks for checking it out!!