July 26, 2006.
I must get asked this questions once a week, if not more. Whether it is referring to work, my son's birthday invitations or re-decorating the family room. More people than not though ask about when I blog (this was started at 6:45 a.m.).
This got me thinking, and so I started making a mental note as to when I did things. The quick and dirty answer is multi-task, the long one is figuring out when I did what:
- Making Dinner, re-decorate family room, wash clothes
- Paint at 5 am, dictate at husband who helps update website for me
- Design son's invitations late at night, daughter decorates in a.m. (with close supervision) while getting ready in morning
- Check voice mail while waiting for swimming lessons to start
- Shipping labels in early morning, while waiting for rhinestones to dry on tiles
- Work on products while watching The Daily Show
- Write business plan while driving across state (duh, I was the passenger)
- Read new business book on vacation
- Blog furiously while kids sleep
- Have sales rep fax signed contract, send changes via voice mail from amusement park
- Order supplies while printing orders for week
There ya go, that is what I do. And asking for help is good, hard but good. But the biggest thing that I now do is.............say no.
I know, I know, it's stupid (I can hear my daughter saying that's a bad word mommy in my head). I have had to cancel on engagements, buy instead of bake, drive instead of walk, fast-food (un-healthy, pleases no lectures) instead of home made, gift bags instead of gift-wrapping.
I want to make it clear, I do not feel good about flaking, and I try very hard NOT do it to my kids. I don't do it all the time, but sometimes I have to say no, or maybe. Not being able to do it all has been my biggest obstacle, but I think I'll get over it - if I don't my husband will just tease me till I do.